Ikea Hacking: Hemnes Dresser into End of Bed TV Unit

dresserI am very lucky to have a lovely big bedroom.

I also have a horrible habit of loving watching TV in bed. Unfortunately for me to be able to see a neatly wall mounted TV from my bed it would have to be in the 60 inch league. Proud though my dad would be it would mean a lot of avoiding the credit card people.

So with my very budget friendly 19 inch TV purchased I needed a solution that would mean my bedroom remains a sanctuary of carefully selected textiles and key furniture accents (i.e: catalogue page of Ikea/Target) and not a jumble of wiring and the ugly back of my very reasonably priced 19 inch TV.

Enter the 3 drawer Hemnes dresser, some hinges (two of the fancy variety) and a husband happily sat in front of the xbox so he doesn't notice my botch job attempt at making something from the aforementioned dresser.

A mear number of hours, splinters, assembly, swearing, claw hammer retrieval of nails in the wrong place, assembly and dropping my very reasonably priced TV later- we have the 'Hemnes End of Bed TV Unit'.

I don't want to pay for cable as we wouldn't make the most of it/understand a lot of what is on it so we are a Hulu and Netflix household. With a soon to be purchased Apple TV and a multi regional DVD player tucked into the top drawer of the dresser I can safely say my sanctuary of televisual aided sleep is now fully equipped with 'New Girl' but in an aesthetically pleasing way.

What I used:

Ikea Hemnes 3 Drawer Dresser in Grey/Brown- $149

Scepter 19 inch LED TV from Walmart- $99

2 x Everbilt Bright Brass Lid Support Hinges (they come in left and right so make you you get one of each!)- $2.27 each

2 x Everbilt 3-1/2 inch Satin Nickel 1/4 in. Radius Door Hinges- $2.78 each

SIIG LCD TV/Monitor Tilting Mount- $20.19

An assortment of short screws (ha!) as you don't want your long screws (ha!) popping through the top/side boards of the dresser when you attach the hinges and TV bracket. The screws that come with the hinges and bracket are usually too long for the depth of the Dresser top and side boards.

You'll also want two long screws (I regret the laughing before, it made me seem immature and now I feel pressured to continue it. Like i've set some sort of childish humor standard...) to secure the top drawer to the back board to stop it being pulled out and smashing your reasonably priced TV. The top drawer becomes your DVD/Apple TV/drawer of cables and madness pit so make sure it's really well attached to the back board so it can't be pulled out and ruin the illusion of seamless TV and cable housing. 

I also ran a very long extension cable under the bed and up inside the dresser housing, behind the drawers for everything to plug into. So the dresser has an internal power outlet and thus only one cable is on 'show'- tucked under the bed.

 








0 comments:

Post a Comment